Come along for the journey!

Come along for the journey!

Tuesday 8 June 2010

HOLLYWOOD'S FINEST: (Mississippi & Memphis, Tennessee, USA)

 I normally enjoy seeing the emblem of the cross proudly displayed in the countryside…but we were in Mississippi and it seemed eerie. It's a bit like England's St George's cross being appropriated by racists and bigots I suppose.

We visited the 'world famous' Hollywood cafe (pre-dating the glitzy Californian kind), famed for being frequented by John Grisham and visits by Michael Jackson. There were white staff 'out front' and black staff 'out back'. That may have reflected the skills of the personnel? By contrast, we later went to the National Civil Rights Museum, where all the museum floor staff were black but I was reassured that their manager was white and that the Board are mixed black and white. Helluva burger the Hollywood serves. The waiter looked bemused when I asked if I could go out back and tip the chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment