Come along for the journey!

Come along for the journey!

Tuesday 1 December 2009

NO KISSING, DRUGS, PHOTOS OR EGGS...THIS IS A HOLY TOWN: (Pushkar, India)


NO kissing, drugs, photos, or eggs…this is a holy town: (Pushkar, India)
We ambled down to the bathing ghats at dusk to see the local priests and gentry perform Puja, a 'cleansing act of worship' whereupon songs were sung and flowers were cast into the water. Hinduism has many rituals that are as beautiful as they are intriguing. I would have captured more of it on camera but it transpired this was best not photographed out of respect. That made perfect sense to me, as did the prohibition on drugs and public displays of affection. For a drug free town though, there sure is a lot of it peddled, particularly to the hoards of Israeli 'post-military-service-obligatory-year-off-stoned' crowd. I still haven't worked out the eggs thing.

I did manage to get a shot that reminded me of young Amir in 'The kite runner'.

1 comment:

  1. Don't get the eggs thing?? I, on the other hand, do. It's what I've been trying to tell you for 16 years - egg white baaad (...bet the yolks would be allowed in though :o) x

    ReplyDelete