Come along for the journey!

Come along for the journey!

Friday 4 December 2009

DESERT SONGS: (Thar Desert, India)

I've never been one for going to 'traditional shows' where I'll see how the local people used to dance, sing, or weave. I do enjoy traditional things though, when it's not quite so simulated for me at a discount pre-booked price.

We slept under the stars in the desert, and it was beautiful. The camel drivers sang for us around the camp fire in those slightly shrill and metallic tones, as perfected by Indians, and it was un-simulated and beautiful. It was a really nice moment, but I didn't want it to be one-way, 'for the tourists', like performing monkeys. We were glad to make it a collision of cultures with renditions of 'In the Jungle'….maybe a little thin on culture our side.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment